Paul

@paulthorpe

Tall Tales



7
posts
7
works
12
following
297
followers
7.8k
words read
paulthorpe
paulthorpe
Paul . 4 years ago
The age of elves is long gone, the dense forests of my people are no more. For millenia we've dwelt instead in the vast desert that now covers the whole world, defending the last of our sacred trees and eking out a living in the shifting sands.
It was technology that ravaged our world. Humans desire for more, for growth, was insatiable. Even when it was clear that they could not sustain their standard of living on this world they persisted.
3
0
0
paulthorpe
paulthorpe
Paul . 4 years ago
If you love them, set them free.
The Gaikokujin that now fill these hills have a saying that they seem to think will bring comfort to my troubled soul. 'If you love something set it free. If it comes back it's yours. If not, it was n...
3
0
0
paulthorpe
paulthorpe
Paul . 4 years ago
An engineering prodigy moves into a new home with his newest robot. One day, his inactive robot walks to him, and says, in a rather upbeat, friendly voice "Hi, I'm Jessica! Wanna be friends?"
I looked at the robot, open-mouthed. It didn't even have a working speaker system. There should be no way it could even make a noise. "Alright", I said walking around the unit as I regathered myself...
15
0
0
paulthorpe
paulthorpe
Paul . 4 years ago
...and do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?” “I do,” he whispered quietly to himself in the back of the church, tears streaming down his face.
She wore flowers in her hair. Simple sprigs that were barely noticeable as part of the impressive up-do. I knew they were there, and why. So did the man standing waiting for her at the front of the ch...
3
0
0
paulthorpe
paulthorpe
Paul . 4 years ago
After a genie serves 1000 masters and gives 3000 successful wishes, they are visited by the master genie and are given one wish.
"CONGRATULATIONS", boomed the voice. I wonder if I sounded like that to my masters down the years. Probably more shocking I hoped. In most cases, people were not expecting to meet a genie and get 3 wi...
1
0
0
paulthorpe
paulthorpe
Paul . 4 years ago
Your Guardian Demon appears in a coffee shop.
"You don't look like a demon", I said. Because she didn't. She looked vaguely familiar. Like a girlfriend of an acquaintance, or one of my wife's social media circle. I had a vague feeling I was being...
16
0
4
paulthorpe
paulthorpe
Paul . 4 years ago
As an eldritch abomination, being summoned is a real pain as you have much better things to do. However, one day you find yourself called upon by the folks at Make-A-Wish foundation.
I felt the tell-tale tickle of an attempted invocation just as I was sitting down to a nice plate of scrambled souls. "Oh, you better mess this up", I muttered to no-one in particular.
66
2
9